You can make a big difference in preventing child abuse through small acts of kindness! You can help protect children, strengthen families, promote traits that help protect families and, ultimately, prevent the abuse and neglect of children within our community. Here is a list of simple tips that can have a positive effect on the well-being and healthy development of children, families, and communities:
• Tell the children or youth in your life how much you care for them and appreciate them.
• Offer your time to babysit for the child of a friend, neighbor or family member
• Do volunteer work for a youth, or family serving organization in your community.
• Introduce yourself to your neighbors. Caring and connected neighborhoods can be powerful in reducing neighborhood violence and supporting struggling parents.
• Volunteer at or donate resources to a local preschool or daycare center.
• Contact your local child welfare and family-serving agencies and ask about volunteer opportunities.
Each of us has a role to play in creating safe and healthy communities for children.
- Gayle Flatau